Once again fall has slipped into winter under our noses and the beauty of the season has left us with dead leaves and muddy footprints all about. Instead of dreading the dark dreariness of winter, it’s time to celebrate the joys and warmth we find during this time of year. Whether you’re selling your house this season or simply searching to beautify your winter nest, Ellen knows just the tricks to make your house a welcoming, cozy home this winter.
- HAZARD – FREE – The first tip to making your house a place of inviting warmth is to prioritize safety.
- Start by clearing snow and ice from your drive and walkways. A nasty slip and fall is not the kind of way to break the ice with your relatives or with potential buyers. Ensure that any and all steps and handrails are accessible, free of ice, and repaired if necessary.
- Lighting is crucial to your home’s safety, but it can be done in a tasteful and inviting way; hanging lights in the yard or putting a lantern out front are wonderful ways to warm up your home’s exterior.
- OUTDOORSY – Once you are reassured that your home is a safe place, Ellen’s second tip for curbside appeal is to invest in creating a lovely winter wonderland around your home.
- Most plants lie dormant during the winter months, but there are types of winter flora that will add signs of life to your front yard. There are several varieties of spruce, cypress and boxwoods. If you don’t quite have the time to upkeep winter plants, Wreaths and garlands are an excellent and festive way to decorate your front door or even the fence posts by your driveway
- Birdhouses and feeders will also help to add life and warmth to your yard. There are plenty of birds that stick around during the colder months; besides the cardinals and blue jays, keep your eyes out for snowy owls, bluebirds, nuthatches and chickadees. If a little winter bird watching intrigues you, invest in your very own feeder to keep your feathered friends close this season!
- MERRY AND BRIGHT – Your home should be an inviting and cheerful place, especially during the grey winter months. In order to create a welcoming atmosphere, it’s essential to pay attention to the details of your home.
- Don’t wait for spring cleaning! A deep clean of your windows, shutters, front porch, and fence may be just the thing your home needs to brighten up. While we’re sprucing things up, it may be time to repaint those address digits, your mailbox, or your porch and shutters.
- Welcoming guests is a little trickier to do when you’re unclear of their arrival time; fix that doorbell so your guests don’t have to wait in the cold! With the ups and downs of the temperature, one thing you can count on is a lot of mud so make sure to purchase a sturdy doormat that will keep the mess outside.
- EXCEPTIONAL – When it comes to home décor, Ellen knows the importance of balancing unique pieces with a sense of class; it’s important to keep in mind the type of visitors you are expecting this season, especially if you are selling your house. Since you don’t know who will be interested in your home, it’s best to keep décor tasteful and simple. That being said, there are still options to make your house stand out!
- Add lights around the driveway to create a warm, inviting entrance. You can also string lights along a front fence or use them to highlight majestic trees in your yard.
- You could even paint your front door to draw interest! The color you choose should blend well with the neighborhood palette, but don’t disregard a warm dark wood or even a bold red to make your home unique!
There are plenty of ways to stay busy around the home this winter; whether you’re staying home for the holidays or selling your house to a new family, it’s the season to create a warm and comforting place! Take Ellen’s tips for creating a cozy winter home and enjoy a relaxing and cheerful atmosphere!