Pick as many of these DIY improvements as you feel you can tackle, and your home will be well on its way to shining before you can say “play ball!” this spring season!
Whether you are looking to enhance your home’s curb appeal in preparation to sell, or just because “Spring Fever” has you in the mood to make some eye-catching changes, these 5 easy tips will have you racing with excitement to the nearest home improvement store!
- Tip #1- One of the most fun and dramatically eye-catching improvements you can make is to change up the look of your front door! The front door of the house is the focal point of the home. A brightly painted door can add that extra touch of fun, and a seasonal wreath adds personality.
- Tip #2– Your front porch should be an extension of your personal decorating style and the look and feel of the inside of your home. Add a couple of pots of seasonal flowers, or spruce it up with some new house numbers that match the style of your home. Remember house numbers should be large and visible from the street. Consider adding light fixtures to illuminate them in the evenings.
- Tip #3- Take another look at your lawn. Are there some sparse patches where it looks like the grass may not come in fully this year? Early spring is the ideal time to start grass seed or sod. And of course make sure to get rid of weeds. A well-manicured lawn speaks volumes about the care of your overall property. Adding mulch to your flower beds will also give your yard that well-groomed “finished” look and is relatively inexpensive.
- Tip #4- Clean your windows and siding. This is one of the best and most inexpensive ways to quickly make a huge difference in the appearance of your house! Make your windows sparkle by cleaning them inside and power washing them from the outside with a window attachment. Refresh your home’s siding with a power washer to remove any winter grime and then take to the ground to show off the true colors of your flagstone or concrete walks, landing and porches. If you don’t have a power washer you can usually rent one from your nearest home improvement store
- Tip #5- Check the condition of your garage and driveway. Again use the power washer to give your garage and drive way a quick once-over. The results might surprise you – you’ll be glad you did! Eliminate any weeds or grass growing in your driveway or walk, and you will be well on your way to leaving a great first impression of your home for visitors – and you personally will enjoy pulling back up to your home all the more this spring!
First impressions matter, and if you are wise about where you invest, a little can go a long way! Sprucing up your home this spring with a few of these striking improvements doesn’t need to break the bank. Most require a little bit of time but are not especially costly. Take your time upfront and preplan your curb appeal makeover. That way trips to the garden center or home improvements store can be optimized. Break up projects into smaller tasks of 2-3 hours and check them off one by one. Over the course of a couple of weekends you’ll be amazed at the progress you’ve made.
If you are looking to sell and would like some professional assistance, contact the team at Brookside Real Estate! We have over 30 years of experience in Kansas City and are experts in Brookside and the surrounding neighborhoods. Give us a call at: (816) 333-3330, or stop by our storefront office at 9 W 63rd any time to chat. We’d love to see you – we care because we live here too!