April showers bring May flowers! Though spring is much welcomed after the lengthy KC winter months, it comes with the possibility of severe weather with potential property damage resulting in financial loss for residents. Flooding, high winds and lightning are the most common weather-related causes of damage in the Kansas City Metro area.
Your friends here at Brookside Real Estate Company have seen more than a little weather damage throughout our years in the neighborhood and want to share a little precautionary advice that may help protect you and your home this spring season:
- Ensure any leaks on your roof are repaired to prevent water from leaking into your home.
- Make sure your sump pump is working correctly.
- Clean your gutters and remove any objects that could block water from flowing through down spouts and away from your home.
- If water does accumulate in your home, be sure to pull-up any wet carpet immediately to prevent mold growth.
- Inspect your roof for loose shingles – or tiles – prior to storm season. Repair or replace if necessary.
- Secure – or store – any outdoor items that may easily be swept up by gusts of wind (ex. patio furniture, cushions and outdoor umbrellas).
- Keep windows shut to prevent high wind or hail damage.
- Identify a designated safe space in your home for you and your family in case of tornadoes.
- Disconnect computers and their cables from power sources when travelling or away from home (for example, while on vacation).
- Keep non-essential electronics unplugged when not using them.
- Avoid using computers and other electronics during thunderstorms.
- Avoid showering during thunderstorms as lightning can travel through plumbing systems.
There you have it – some helpful tips for protecting your home and loved ones during spring storm season! If property damage does occur, be certain to contact your insurance provider and take pictures of any damage. Consult the National Weather Service website to monitor weather conditions in your area.
Looking to buy or sell a home this spring? The real estate professionals at Brookside Real Estate Company are always here to help! With over 30 years of experience in Kansas City and significant expertise in Brookside and other surrounding Kansas City neighborhoods, no one is better qualified to assist with your home buying or selling needs. Give us a call at: (816) 333-3330, or stop by our storefront office at 9 W 63rd any time to chat – about the weather, real estate or anything else that’s on your mind!