What is a pocket park? Pocket parks are hidden landlocked green areas taken care of by the subdivision Homes Association. In fact, if your house doesn’t back up to a pocket park, there’s a good chance you have no idea the pocket parks we are about to explore even exist! Although they are open to the public, pocket parks don’t have a public entrance like most parks. To get to these hidden treasures, you must cut between houses. Let’s take a closer look at Brookside Real Estate Company’s top 5 Brookside pocket parks!
- Grand Avenue Pocket Park: One of the larger pocket parks in the area, Grand Ave Pocket Park located at 66th Terr & Edgevale, is the perfect open space for children to play. Join the Pocket Park Cleanup Workday October 6 starting at 9:30am! Trash bags and water will be provided – just bring your gloves and yard tools to help get the park cleaned up. Following the workday will be Movie Night in the Park! All you need to bring are chairs and blankets – popcorn and a movie on the big screen will be provided by the Armour Hills Homes Association. What a fun way to get the family involved and get to know your neighbors!
- Southside of Edgevale Pocket Park: The ideal space for a game of baseball and/or kickball! The best part? There is plenty of space with a fence behind home plate, so you won’t have to worry about a foul ball ending with a broken window! Located at 66th & Main, this pocket park is easily accessible by turning down the back alley between houses. Pack an afterschool snack and enjoy a picnic at the provided picnic table while the kids release all their built-up energy.
- Greenway Fields Pocket Park: Located just north of 63rd & Valley, this pocket park is so tucked away that most neighbors have no idea it even exists. This hidden treasure is full of playground equipment to keep the kids entertained for hours! From swing sets to a jungle gym, there is something for most everyone at the Greenway Fields Pocket Park!
- Happy Woods Pocket Park: Right in the heart of Crestwood at 55th between Oak & Cherry, this spacious pocket park has plenty of room for various activities. Eat lunch at one of three park tables, read a book while seated on the private bench, swing on the swing set, climb around the playground or play catch in the open land. Happy Woods Pocket Park is a beautiful place to sit back and relax while your kids release their energy!
- Cherry Woods Pocket Park: Another Crestwood gem, Cherry Woods Pocket Park at 55th between Cherry & Holmes, is the last pocket park on our list! A park with plenty of space for the kids to play, Cherry Woods has a playground and trampoline, as well as a table and lounge chairs for the less active. End your day with an evening at Cherry Woods Pocket Park!
Looking to move to the Brookside area and take advantage of these beautiful pocket parks + more? Give us a call at (816) 333-3330 or stop by our storefront office at 9 W 63rd St – when the flag is up, we’re open! We can’t wait to show you all of the aspects that make Brookside the most sought after place to live in KC.